Emigré Photographers of the 20th Century
(Regular price: £45.00)
- Imprint: Lund Humphries
- Illustrations: Includes 200 colour illustrations
- Published: July 2013
- Format: 303 x 240 mm
- Extent: 240 pages
- Binding: Hardback
- ISBN: 978-1-84822-130-7
- Short ISBN: 9781848221307
- Market exclusions: Not available through Lund Humphries in Israel
- LoC Number: 2012953337
Print friendly information sheet
- Nissan N. Perez
- The early practitioners of photography in the late 19th century and first decades of the 20th century shaped the evolving language of the medium by expanding the limits of the photographic vision. Many of these pioneers were immigrants - people displaced by choice or, quite often, by necessity. These photographers became observers and interpreters of their new surroundings through the filters of their different cultures, languages and religions. Photography in the 20th century (particularly the Modernist vision) is deeply indebted to them.
Displaced Visions reconsiders the work and influence of key figures in modernist photography from the point of view of their status as immigrants, considering how this condition affected their vision and creativity and enhanced the development of the photographic language in general. It features the work of nearly 100 photographers, including André Kertész, Brassai, Bill Brandt, Man Ray, Robert Frank, the New York School photographers, the Photo League Photographers, Lisette Model, Moholy-Nagy, Erich Salomon, Weegee, William Klein, Tina Modotti, Inge Morath and many more. It accompanies a major touring exhibition opening at The Israel Museum, Jerusalem in spring 2013.
- Contents: Foreword, James S. Snyder; Preface and Acknowledgements; A Century of Migration, Nissan N. Perez; The Photographs; Index of Immigrant Photographers; Credits and Copyrights.
- About the Author: Nissan N. Perez is Horace and Grace Goldsmith Senior Curator in the Noel and Harriette Levine Department of Photography at The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. He has curated over 180 exhibitions in Israel and internationally and his previous publications include: Revelation: Representation of Christ in Photography; Dreams Visions Metaphors: The Photographs of Manuel Alvarez Bravo; Focus East: Early Photography in the Near East 1839-1885; and Time Frame: A Century of Photography in the Land of Israel.
- Reviews: “… Recommended. Lower-division undergraduates through researchers/faculty; general readers.'
- Co-publisher: Published in association with The Israel Museum, Jerusalem