The Trinitarian Theology of Jonathan Edwards
Text, Context, and Application
(Regular price: £68.00)
- Imprint: Ashgate
- Published: January 2012
- Format: 234 x 156 mm
- Extent: 264 pages
- Binding: Hardback
- Other editions:
ebook PDF, ebook ePUB
- ISBN: 978-1-4094-0572-6
- Short ISBN: 9781409405726
- BL Reference: 231'.044'092
- LoC Number: 2011021369
Print friendly information sheet
- Steven M. Studebaker, McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and Robert W. Caldwell III, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas
- While Jonathan Edwards scholars have increasingly recognized the central role that the Trinity played in his thought, no work brings together Edwards' central texts on the Trinity and interprets and applies them to contemporary theological issues.
This book reveals how the doctrine of the Trinity transformed Edwards' ministry and how the Trinity can inform current evangelical thought, life, and ministry. Key primary texts, interpretation, and application of Edwards' trinitarian theology are all presented here. Part one features Edwards' chief trinitarian writings and provides an in-depth analysis on his doctrine. Part two sets Edwards' trinitarianism in historical context. Part three demonstrates how Edwards employed the Trinity in his sermons, in spiritual formation, and in other areas of doctrine.
- Contents: Introduction; Part 1 Text and Doctrine: Discourse on the Trinity by Jonathan Edwards; Chapter Three from Treatise on Grace by Jonathan Edwards; The Trinity unveiled: Jonathan Edwards on the infinite fullness of the immanent Trinity; The Trinity revealed: God's Trinitarian glory shines forth ad extra. Part 2 Historical Context: Edwards's Trinitarian theology and the historic Trinitarian tradition; Edwards's Trinitarian theology and its 18th century context. Part 3 Pastoral Application: The Trinity in the pulpit: how Edwards incorporated the Trinity in his preaching; The Trinity and Christian formation: how Edwards applied the Trinity to the Christian life; The Trinity and creation: how the Trinity shaped Edwards's doctrine of creation; The Trinity and the end: how the Trinity transformed Edwards's vision of Heaven; Bibliography; Index.
- About the Author: Steven Studebaker is the author of Jonathan Edwards' Social Augustinian Trinitarianism in Historical and Contemporary Perspectives; Defining Issues in Pentecostalism: Classical and Emergent; and several articles on Jonathan Edwards . He teaches theology at McMaster Divinity College. He grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and studied church history and theology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and Marquette University.
Robert Caldwell is the author of Communion in the Spirit: The Holy Spirit as the Bond of Union in the Theology of Jonathan Edwards. He currently teaches courses in church history and American Christianity at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Raised in Pennsylvania and Western New York, he studied history and philosophy at Northwestern University, and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
- Reviews: Prizes: Classified as 'Research Essential' by Baker & Taylor YBP Library Services
A Yankee Book Peddler US Core Title for 2012
'This is an excellent introduction to Edwards' trinitarian thought, its historical significance and practical utility. It includes essential texts from Edwards' trinitarian corpus as well as learned and reliable exegesis of that corpus. This is now the place to begin for people interested in the trinitarian nature of Edwards' thought and its importance to the history of theology.'
Douglas A. Sweeney, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, USA
'One of the main areas of historic and contemporary debate about Jonathan Edwards' thought concerns the shape of his Trinitarianism, and its place in his work, relative to his other distinctive contributions to Christian theology. In this book Robert Caldwell and Steven Studebaker have brought together many of the major texts in this dispute. They also argue that Edwards' Trinitarian theology has practical as well as theological application for contemporary dogmatics. This is a welcome addition to the literature, that will be read with profit by students and scholars of America's Theologian.'
Oliver D. Crisp, University of Bristol, UK
'This book will be useful for seminary courses on Edwards or the Trinity, for scholars working on Edwards and theologians studying the Trinity. Every theological library should have it.' Religious Studies Review
Visit Steven Studebaker's profile page on the McMaster Divinity College website.
View Robert Caldwell's profile page on the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary website
Extracts from this title are available to view:
Full contents list