Public Transport and its Users
The Passenger's Perspective in Planning and Customer Care
(Regular price: £95.00)
- Imprint: Ashgate
- Published: April 2009
- Format: 234 x 156 mm
- Extent: 330 pages
- Binding: Hardback
- ISBN: 978-0-7546-7447-4
- Short ISBN: 9780754674474
- BL Reference: 388
- LoC Number: 2008045783
Print friendly information sheet
- Edited by Martin Schiefelbusch and Hans-Liudger Dienel, both at the Nexus Institute for Cooperation Management and Interdisciplinary Research, Germany
Transport and Society
- Public transport is essential to the quality of life of its passengers, both as a means to move around but also to achieve a sustainable environment. However, the passenger's position as a customer is weakened by the dominance of monopolies, regulation and political influence in our public transport systems.
This book is one of the first to examine strategies for the representation of user interests in public transport from a variety of perspectives. The authors review approaches to integrating the passengers' views in the planning process and to protecting their interests in operations and customer care across a range of European countries, including Austria, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK and EU policies. The book presents the conclusions of this research and examples of good practice. In this respect it will provide useful guidance for policy makers, stakeholder organizations and planners, as well as transport researchers.
- Contents: Preface; Introduction, Hans-Liudger Dienel; Passenger interests in public transport; Consumer protection in public transport; Customer perspective in quality management; User participation in public transport; Planning public transport, customer representation and passenger rights in Europe; The future of passengers' rights and passenger participation; Bibliography; Index.
- About the Editor: Dr Martin Schiefelbusch is Area Manager for Mobility Research at the nexus Institute for Cooperation Management and Interdisciplinary Research, Germany and Dr Hans-Liudger Dienel is Managing Director at the nexus Institute for Cooperation Management and Interdisciplinary Research, Germany
- Reviews: 'This book tackles the hugely important but often neglected concern over the rights of the passenger when using public transport. It proposes a substantial increase in their active participation in the design of the services being offered. As such, this book breaks new ground and should be read by all those who are really concerned about the traveller as well as travel.'
David Banister, Transport Studies Unit, Oxford University Centre for the Environment, UK
'The importance of consumer representation is boosted in markets where competition is absent – public transport is largely a monopoly. As the need for high quality public transport is rapidly rising this book provides a timely, comprehensive, useful and thoughtful survey of Europe's passengers' rights and representation. It will help practitioners and planners understand the need for and importance of talking to passengers.'
Anthony Smith, Chief Executive, Passenger Focus
'Public Transport and its Users is a pioneering work. It appears to be the first to address the empowerment of the users of public transport services. The authors ask, how would services change if the transit providers treated their customers with the same attention that football clubs treat their members and fans?'
- Extracts from this title are available to view:
Full contents list